I see trees of green..: Wiki Wiki - on Foucault

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Wiki Wiki - on Foucault

Foucault.... ah yes, me and my uni friends used to wish he never existed, essays would be so much easier. That was a while ago, now I'm starting to think he's one sexy guy (any of my uni friends reading this means I'm gonna have lunch by myself for the rest of the semester). All you have to do is click:

MICHEL FOUCAULT

Foucault's a French philosopher. I don't know him like an expert, having to engage myself in his governmentality theory and I thought.. that's a really cool way of thinking. Went to Boffins yesterday, engaged a bit more.

"When people say, "Well, you thought this a few years ago and now you say something else," my answer is… [laughs] "Well, do you think I have worked [hard] all those years to say the same thing and not to be changed?"

This attitude to his own work fits well with his theoretical approach — that knowledge should transform the self. When asked in another 1982 interview if he was a philosopher, historian, structuralist, or Marxist, Foucault replied 'I don't feel that it is necessary to know exactly what I am. The main interest in life and work is to become someone else that you were not in the beginning'"

In a similar vein, Foucault preferred not to claim that he was presenting a coherent and timeless block of knowledge; rather, he said: "I would like my books to be a kind of tool-box which others can rummage through to find a tool which they can use however they wish in their own area… I would like the little volume that I want to write on disciplinary systems to be useful to an educator, a warden, a magistrate, a conscientious objector. I don't write for an audience, I write for users, not readers."

Told you he's sexy..

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

we knew him since CIC...
Erika kept talking about him
readings are nice but not when u need to write essay on... >_<|||0

10:41 AM  
Blogger Desmond wrote...

Wiki is a handy resource, isn't it? Fyi, it also lists two St Christinas, one of whom, Christina the Astonishing, was decidedly odd. She is the patron saint of lunacy and ecstasy, according to Wiki!

There's also a St Odo, who reformed the convent at Subiaco - in Italy.

4:44 PM  
Blogger *jessix* wrote...

Whoa...that's deep. I love how you think Tin Tin.x

7:20 PM  
Blogger odorus wrote...

haha thanks Jess

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home